300 Years of Dominican Sisters in Dublin. Part 11.
300 years conclusion:
Previous instalments reviewed the settlement and growth of a group of Galway Dominican nuns in Dublin from 1717. The story described the trials, tribulations, and challenges they faced in Penal days, with decreasing numbers and increasing debts owed to them. 102 years after their arrival, in Dublin, (followed by a few years in Clontarf), the final destination of the Dublin Dominican nuns was Cabra,(Dublin). In May 1819, Fr Cruise, (a Dominican priest and their community chaplain in Clontarf) was instrumental in the purchase of a house and seven acres in Cabra. The nuns stayed in Clontarf until their lease there expired. During those months, however, two nuns accompanied an ailing Sister to Cabra, hoping that the country air would be beneficial to her. Sadly she died during the night. On December 12th, 1819, the community of five finally moved Cabra. It would never have occurred to them, that during the following 200 years Cabra Dominican Community would “grow” into a Congregation with branches, not only in a number of towns/cities in Ireland but also worldwide, with missionary foundations and various ministries (still existing) in South Africa, Australia, Louisiana and Latin America. Details of the growth, and in some instances, the death of old branches, are described in sections of our website. Most of the details of the instalments of this series are quoted from Sr Maire Kealy’s book “From Channel Row to Cabra” (2010). Deo Gratias
From Sr. Maris Stella McKeown, Archivist, Mission Area of Ireland
For more details, see this website link WHO WE ARE, with Drop down menu –HISTORY and BOOKS.
The drop down menu in WHAT WE DO provides insights into how and where the seed, planted in Dublin in 1717, has grown and sprouted other branches in the following three centuries.